Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Does Your Classroom Favor Girls or Boys?

I posted last week about a book I am reading called Boy Writers.  While reading, one thing really stood out to me.  "...teachers tend to create classrooms that favor the tastes, strengths, sensibilities, and learning styles of girls..."  If 90% of elementary school teachers are women, this should come as no shock.  I got to thinking about some of the classrooms that I have seen both in person and online.  I look at these classroom and think to myself that it is "cute" or "pretty".  I think that I would like to have a room that looked like that.  Now I am thinking "Would my son like to spend all day, every day, in that room?"  While the pinks and yellows and the flowers and ribbons all appeal to me, I know that my husband would probably gag if he had to work in that environment.  Now when I look at these CUTE rooms that I love so much, I have to pause and remind myself that it is not practical for all students.

Here are some pics of some classrooms that I have come across that I think boys and girls both might enjoy spending time in. 

Go to CFC to get her Camping Theme Pack


I HATE snakes but boys love them :)

I'm not sure where the source is to this pic.  I found the pic on Pinterest but it took me to a recipe when I clicked on it.



THIS ONE HAS TO BE MY FAVORITE!!!! :) I LOVE THE PIRATE THEME!


I LOVE THIS! It's pirates but it's still cute.
I'm wishing I had bought those book bins in red now :)







What boy doesn't want to be a pirate?

 I am not sure of the source on these too either. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment