Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Daily 5 Book Study Chapter 1


I decided to join up and do this Daily 5 Kindergarten Book Study with some really great kinder teachers.  If you know me, then you know that I don't actually teach Kindergarten, I teach Pre-K.  But, with our curriculum getting more rigorous, and with us using the Kindergarten Common Core Standards, I figured it couldn't hurt.  (And maybe, just maybe, it will help me get some more followers.)

I am a Daily 5 nut! I love the Daily 5! I found it my last year in second grade and was in heaven.  All of my teacher troubles seemed to just wash away when it began.  All last year, as a new Pre-K teacher I felt like it was my first year teaching all over again.  What a nightmare! I kept thinking to myself, there has got to be a way to incorporate the Daily 5 into my Pre-K routine.  So when I found this book study I was so excited.  This had to be the answer to all of my problems.  And, as I read chapter 1 again, through the eyes of a Pre-K teacher, the book started to talk to me.

Tammy at Live Laugh Love Everyday in Kindergarten lead chapter 1 and provided these questions for her readers and book study participants to reflect on. (She also provided the SUPER CUTE pictures)
1. How do I teach new behaviors?
Just as with any 4-5 year old, my kids need constant reminders.  I have to admit, at the beginning of the year I am on it.  Reviewing the classroom rules and reminding the kids how i expect them to behave at their seats or at the carpet.  Then as the year goes on, I wind up having to constantly tell several individuals to stop whatever it is they are doing and get back on task.

2. How do I teach expectations?
 When starting "centers" (which were; Lego's, wooden blocks, Play Doug, Baby Dolls, etc.) I started by introducing one thing a week. If it was the puzzles that I wanted the kids to learn how to use, I would get out a giant puzzle and we would all sit around it in the floor. I would discuss with them how the puzzle should be used and how it should look when they are done (cleaned up). After the first day, we would review the expectations and then the kids would "practice" with a partner.  Unfortunately as the year progresses I wind up spending less and less time focusing on expectations and more time on the alphabet/sight words and all of the songs that we sing.
3. How do I monitor student behavior? whole group? small groups? individual?
This is where I start confessing.  I am a control freak.  When it comes to my classroom I have high expectations and they better be met.  However, when I was using Daily 5 in my second grade room, I found myself much more relaxed and as a result, I was much less stressed and frazzled at the end of the day. I do use a clip chart.  I like the ones that start in the middle where I can have kids move up when kids display desired behaviors or make a good choice, or move down for bad choices.  I will move kids up and down all day.  I like that kids can correct the bad behavior and get rewarded for it instead of being "stuck" where they had to move down the chart. I was reading on  Kindergarten Smiles blog where she commented on this question.  I like the idea that she had for creating a clip chart to monitor where her kids are on the Daily 5 and how she plans to use dot stickers to limit the amount of kids who are allowed on each task at a time.
4. What do I do when a student is not exhibiting desired behavior?
Yell. Get frustrated. Go on and on about what they are doing. Wast a LOT of class time.  Well, not always but, does anyone else have those moments when you think that if little Johnny does that one more time you just may loose your mind?  I did find myself getting very frustrated with my little babies last year.  I mean, why shouldn't preschoolers be able to act like my second graders did?  (Just kidding!) But let me tell you, moving from 8 year old kids to 4 year old kids will put you into a state of shock! I had NO IDEA how to handle behaviors in a Pre-K room and I had a son in kindergarten, you would think that I would be able to handle 9 more of him.  There were days when I would sit and cry at the end of the day.  What happened that that teacher who loved her job so much that she would never quit? I found myself reflecting back to what I loved about my second graders and how easy it was to manage them, and I would think, why isn't there a Daily 5for preschool/kindergarten? I knew how to manage a classroom, that had always been my strong point but I could feel myself slipping further and further away.  I'll be honest, I never got there last year. I floated through the year and thanked God every day that my principal did not walk through.  If she would have come in I would have pulled it off and made it seem that I had it all together but in truth, I was falling apart.  I was swimming against the current and about to drown. (Wow, I just realized just how bad it really was.)
5. Whose classroom is it?
Mine. Mine. Mine. I can hear myself now, " You are not going to act that way in MY room."  "I will not tolerate that kind of behavior in MY classroom."  How sad! That is NOT how I wanted to be.  I said I wanted a sense of community in "my" classroom.  We had class meetings at the carpet.  I allowed the students to "share" things that were important to them.  I just couldn't let go of that control for fear of sinking under.  I reflect back once again to my second graders, now we were a tight group.  I loved them, they loved me, we all got along (most of the time), we were a family.  Where did that go?  I guess it floated down that current that I was fighting.
6. Locus of control?
Honestly, when I looked at this question the first time, I was like "What? What is that?". Then as I read, "Ohhhhhh. OK.".  I guess this goes back to me being the control freak that I am.  I do use the treat box and the stickers, I have to admit.  I mean, what kid doesn't love a McDonald's toy or a Tootsie Roll? There were kids who naturally got it, they knew that they wanted to learn how to read, or how to count so they just took it upon themselves to be attentive and try hard. 
7. Where are supplies stored?
Kids have their own supplies that they keep at their seats.  The scissors are safely kept on a small shelf in the middle of the room where they kids can get them when they need them. (They were in their supply boxes but after one kid cut his hair and another cut her shirt to pieces I decided that they were best use on an as needed basis.) Any materials that are needed for the task of the day I place on that same shelf so that they are easily accessible.  The rest of the time, they are kept in the supply closet.

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Amanda, you're really brave to think about taking this down to 4K. I'm in K5 and just learning about it. It would seem like you need to look at the beginning behaviors that K5 expects from a student with good preschool experience, then task analyze that to see how you need to build up to there. Actually, read to self seems to be the most problematic for your littles because you are working with such a developmentally short attention span. That might initially look like using manipulatives, picture cards or a felt board to retell a familiar story to themselves. Working with words would be working with fine motor and pre-writing skills, then letter and name skills. I became interested in the Daily 5 framework after reading Jan Richardson's Guided Reading book. I like the way she suggests introducing the literacy centers that you use. She suggests giving the students centers that they do know what to do in like blocks, puzzles, etc. Then week by week you teach the students a literacy center one group at a time. Daily 5 may be the same way, I just haven't read that far!

    I'll be reading to see how your journey evolves through this books study.

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Donna! Thanks for stopping by! The Daily 5 does take it very slow and introduce one thing at a time. My initial concern with using the D5 in Pre-K was the read to self and read to someone as well. As I was reading chapter 1 things started coming back to me from when I read the book in the past. The D5 teaches that there are 3 ways to read; look at the pictures, read the words, and retell the story. Obviously my 4 year olds will not be able to read the words but just by looking at the pictures they will be practicing proper book handling skills. As I read books to the class, I plan to place those books into their books to chose from so that they can retell the stories. I think it may actually work.

      I do not plan to use the schedule they gave the example for in the book. 30 minutes is just way too much for 4-5 year olds. I am going to try to start with 10 minute sessions and build up to 20 minute sessions.

      We have been asked to use the kindergarten common core standards next year when planning our curiculum. We are going to be very busy in Pre-K next year. Did I mention my schedule? I have two classes of ten. I have ten kids from 8-11 then they go home and I get ten more from 12-3.

      Delete
  2. Hi! Thank you for following me! I am now following you!!! I am glad to be on this journey together! I can totally relate to you with the changing of ages/grades. I just switched from 5th grade to kinder last year, it is all so very new, but very fun at the same time!

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! I'm your newest follower. =) I can't wait to hear about your Daily 5 journey in a Pre-k setting! I think it will be amazing!
    Bobbie
    The Daily Cupcake…A Kindergarten Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just found your darling blog through the Daily 5 linky. I was in class 2 days this week and curriculum one day, so I have some catching up to do this weekend...then I will link up. Can't wait to hear about your preschool journey!
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just became your newest follower. Love your blog!

    ✰ Kimberley ✰
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing so much of your heart. There are not many out there who are so honest about their frustrations. We all know that we will have them but I think we sometimes think that if we do we are "bad" teachers.

    I think you are so brave to be doing this with your kiddos.

    I use Conscious Discipline in my classroom and it is AMAZING! I want to share about it with everyone because it will change you and your classroom forever! And it will work with pre-K too. CD had even been used in the 3 year old Head Start program in my district. I would love for you to come read more about it on my blog.

    I am happy to be your newest follower too! =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, thank you so much for your comment. I really try to stay honest when talking to others about teaching. You never know what someone else may be struggling with and maybe are too scared to voice their concers. Some times when you put yourself out there it opens doors for others who may be thinking they are alone in their struggles.

      I have heard about Conscious DIscipline but I haven't looked in to it much. I will take a look at it. Thanks for sharing it. I feel very passionately about D5 and I always share it so I understand your drive to pass the word when you find something that works so amazingly. See you Wednesday on the linky! :)

      Delete