Wednesday, June 27, 2012

The Daily 5 Chapter 3



I have read the Daily 5 before but, I am finding myself reading things that I did not rememberbefore.  Maybe I just skimmed over chapter 3 in the past.  (Big mistake!) I found myself thinking that I missed out on some really good ideas. 

1. Establinsh a gathering place for brain and body breaks. 

In the past I have just told the kids "go to the carpet" or "it's carpet time".  I like the idea of making it something special like "the family room".  I think the carpet just got a name. :)

2. Developing the concept of "good fit" books.

Since I teach Pre-K I wondered if this part of the chapter really played in to my class.  Obviously my kiddos will not be reading.  The will be looking at the pictures and retelling stories that I have already read to them.  One thing that did make an impression on me was finding books of their interest.  I have been all about the boys lately.  I too often find books that I like and that interest me.  I even do this with my own kid, when we look for books for him to read I tend to direct him to what I think would be best rather than what interest him.  I am going to work on that because I want him to be a life long reader and not a survival reader.  I never read about dinosaurs or sharks in class and these are the things that boys love.  I want to make sure I am providing them with a good mix so that they will have a variety to chose from. 

3. Create anchor charts with students.

I have been very guilty of not making anchor charts with my Pre-K students.  I use the excuse that they can not read them.  This year I am going to make anchor charts and then go back and refin them by adding pictures so that they kids have a visual.  I may even take picures in the class so that students can see themselves exhibiting the proper behavior.

4. Short, repeated intervals of independent practice and setting up book boxes.

There's that word again....STAMINA.  Once again it's all about practice, practice, practice.  This is no different than the way I taught my kids the proper way to use the Play Dogh center.  We practiced exactly what was expected.  They Playdogh was never mixed, and stayed on the table.  We even practiced how to clean it up.  We will be practicing the D5 more frequently throughout the day in the 3 minute sessions building up to 10.  I like the thought of stopping even if one kid gets off task and coming back to review immediately.  I am going to have to remember to not get frustrated and to use a calm tone of voice. 
Check out this AWESOME stop watch from A Differentiated Kindergarten (click name to go) you can use to track stamina.  It's a FREEBIE! I am definately using this.

I recently purchased some book boxes from Really Good Stuff that I plan to use to hold a few books for each kid along with their name puzzles and other pesronalized things.

5. Calm signal and check in procedures.

I have to admit, I am guilty of    "OK... TIME TO GO BACK TO THE CARPET........... NOW JOHNNY WE DON'T HAVE TIME TO FINNISH THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE ALREADY GOT IT DONE.......... SUSIE, WHY ARE YOU STILL AT YOUR TABLE WHEN EVERYONE ELSE IS AT THE CARPET?  DON'T YOU THINK YOU NEED TO JOIN US?....NO, NOW GET OVER HERE.  WE'RE ALL WAITING."  Ha ha! Can I get an Amen?  Surely I am not the only teacher out there who uses her voice more than necessary.  Maybe I am the only teacher who has never taught her kids how to properly stop what they are doing and get to the carpet in a timely manner.  I never thought about it.  Honestly, I just figured they should know that when I say "Carpet time." they would automatically know that I wanted them at the carpet.  My how I have wasted so much time waiting on kids to make their way to the group.  I have a "No Yell Bell" that I have never really used, I think I may put it to good use this year.  (Starting day one).  As far as "check in" goes, I have never had the kids reflect on their own behaviors.  I have always just watched and pointed out what I see.  If I want them to be independent I think I am going to have to embrace this.  I like the way the Sisters use the thumbs up and thumbs side ways.
6. Using the correct modle/incorrect model approach for demonstrating appropriate behaviors.
I want to make this a priority this year.  I used the correct modeling before but not the incorrect.  I think the idea of giving that dificult kid an audience and allowing for the attention up front is a great idea.  I am alwasy open to ways to handle those kids who feed of that negative attention. I have to remind myself to not get aggravated and use GENTLE reminders.
Check back next week with Mrs.Miner as she hosts chapter 4.


2 comments:

  1. I have totally used my voice more than necessary! I have found practice makes perfect. I have students practice over and over again how to put materials away immediately and come to the floor. Now I ring my chimes and then count backward from 30 out loud to give the students an idea of how long they have to put materials away and get back to the floor. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Counting backwards is a great idea. Thanks for the tip! I have often wondered myself just how much time they need. :)

      Delete