Friday, August 10, 2012

My Classroom

I have been working hard to get my classroom in order.  Last year I moved from 2nd grade to Pre-K and things just whent anywhere I could find a hole.  There were things that were already in the room that I had no idea I even had.  My "craft cabinet" was packed with paint, glitter, and anything else you can think of scattered on every shelf.  This year, I am making my room mine.  Let's face it, we teachers LIVE in our classroom most of the year.  So I have been organizing craft suplies, my library and every cabinet/shelf in the room.  I have purged many things.  Here are some pictures of my classroom.
Originally this shelf housed puzzles and books.  All of these items in these boxes wer in my "craft cabinet" shoved into every corner and spread out on all the shelves.  Nothing was together, there was absolutely no method to the madness.


I must confess:  This idea was not an original of mine....I have to say thank you to Caitlin from Kindergarten Smiles.
Kindergarten Smiles
 
This is Caitlin's shelf.
Our "Family Room" I am going to try to use a cuter name than "the carpet" :o)

Yes, I have a desk. Sorry, I just can't get rid of my space.

I am going to use a word wall this year.  We will start with their names, color words, shape words, number words, etc.

I would love to tell you who made the word wall cards for me but it was a special order for a good reason.
If you see this and want the credit let me know ;-)
P.S. If "She" comments on my blog you will all hear me scream with excitement. :o)

My writing center is still not complete.  I may need a small shelf to store the items.
The cards on the wall are from the Moffatt Girls
The Moffatt Girls
Did you notice the big yellow barrel sitting there? Yea, I thought you did.  This is an emergency kit just in case there is an earthquake.  Since my classroom is the last one on the end it got selected to store it. JOY!


My library and student work display.

Student tables.

Small group table

My chair was a plain ole ugly wood chair last year.  I had to give it a face lift.
Yes. I painted it myself.  I'm working on a stool now to put by the sink.  I'll show you that in a couple of days.
The opening to the left leads to the classroom next door.  The door to the right is a closet.  It's full of second grade materials/decorations that I can't part with yet.  Just as soon as I do, I will get moved again. I did get rid of some things that I haven't used in 5 years.  I figured it was time.
I painted this chair for my students last year.  It is used as an incentive.
 If someone is being extra good they get to sit in it for the day.

Word work materials.  Another stolen idea.
I got this idea from Marsha at A Differentiated Kindergarten.


Student cubbies waiting for the kids' names to be added to them.
If you notice the brown cabinet to the left, that was my craft cabinet.  It still holds the paint but they are all on one shelf and organized by type and color.  It also has puzzles and I was lucky to house the Preschool diecuts and cutter that takes up a large portion of my cabinet.  (I think someone else should have to find some where to store that thing since I have to have that big yellow tub.  Don't you think so too?  No one asked us, did they? :-(  The red cabinet stores tons of Lakeshore learning games.
This is my clip chart.  
You can get one too from Teaching Oasis.  They have all sorts of themed items.  The labels that were on the blue tubs at the begining of this post came from there too.
And lastly, my poor little listening center. I am just not sure what to do with it.
If you have any ideas please comment.
 So that's my room.  90% done and ready for kids next Thursday.  Alright... Back to work for me.  I still haven't get my schedule the way I want it and I just got my class list so I have to get the kids' names on some things.

7 comments:

  1. Your room looks so cute! I love the Dr. Seuss chairs =)
    Bobbie

    The Daily Cupcake…A Kindergarten Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am pretty proud of those chairs :)

      Delete
  2. I like your word wall! It looks really cute! Love seeing all the pictures! I am a new follower!

    Julie
    msshopesclass.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. OH MY GOSH! Those chairs are AMAZING and quite possibly the best things I have ever seen!!!

    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your chairs! And I have to say...the yellow barrel cracked me up. I wouldn't know what to do with such a thing!

    Angi
    ★ First-Graders from Outer Space ★

    ReplyDelete