Wednesday, July 11, 2012

The Daily 5 Chapter 5

Read To Someone & Listen To Reading


Read To Someone Brought to you by:
Sharing Kindergarten
1. Why should students be reading to someone?
(What is the purpose for reading to someone that each student should know and understand?)

I think that by providing students with the opportunity to read to someone they are doing more than reinforcing those reading skills.  They are also getting some valuable social interactions.  Students who are reading to each other are getting to hear how others their age reading.  I think that this will encourage students to want to become better readers.  They will want to be like their peers who read better than they do or they will want to impress their friends with how well they read.  Students should know that by listening to someone else read and by having someone to coach them in their reading they will be improving their reading.

2. How can your students' EEKK?
(on bottoms only or laying out on bellies/backs, what is okay with you?)
I didn't give this much thought while reading this chapter. I just assumed that they would be sitting on their bottoms. I will have to give this some thought.  One part of me says that they should be on their bottoms but there is another little voice that says "let them get comfortable with the book."  I may just leave this up to the kids.  If I see that they are engaged in a book and there are no distractions or disturbances because of it, I will probably just let them continue on.
3. How can your students read to someone and how can you need to model these ways with your students?
I plan to teach read to someone as being the same as Read to Self, just with a partner. I want them to look at the pictures together, read the words if they can, and retell books that we read as a class.  By retelling to each other they will be able to check each others understanding. 
4. What is the one thing you have done with partner reading that ensures the success of your students?
I have not done partner reading in my class before so this is going to be new for me.


Listen To Reading brought to you by:


1. How will you instill the importance (or urgency as the sisters call it) of 'listening to reading' in your students and especially those students who have had little 'lap time' or reading done for them in their own homes?
I want to instill a love for reading in my kids.  I hope to do this by reading a variety of books to them and by encouraging them to become readers.   I want to make sure that I incorporate a variety of books into my whole group reading time so that all students will be able to find what books interest them.  Without exposing them to the books, how can we expect them to know what they like and to want to read?
 
2. What devices or strategies are you going to use to conduct listen to reading?' Will you use a community recording device with one cd and several earphones, individual cd players, tape recorders, ipod-type devices or computers?
 
I planned to set up a listening center with cassettes in it.  I have more books on tape available to me through my school than any other type of media.  Also, by only having to teach how to use one piece of technology I hope to cut back on distractions and issues.
 
3. What expectations will you have for your students during 'listen to reading' and how will you keep them on task and independent instead of needing your assistance when they can't manage 'devices?'
I plan to find a couple of "experts" in the class who are comfortable with the listening center and who others can count on when they need some technical help.  I will expect my kids to listen to the whole story and probably create a response sheet if there is time left after their story ends.
 
4. Do you have enough 'listening to reading' type materials? If not, what ideas do you have for securing these materials? Where will you store them? How will your students retrieve these items? Where will they be used (will there be a designated spot in your class for listen or reading or will it be their choice)?

My school has a large Literacy Library that is full of sets of books and books with tapes. I also have several headphones and adapters to attach multiple headphones to cassette players. This is one center that I haven't quite got the set up perfected in my mind just yet. I do not have an extra table that I can use for my listening center so I am looking at some alternate arrangements.

5. The sisters do not really talk about this in their book, but how do you feel about listening response sheets? Will listening to reading be just for 'listening' or will there be follow-up work required of your students? If there is reading response sheets, what will they look like?
I feel like response sheets are important because it helps keep the kids on task. I understand that listening/reading for pleasure is important as well but, I need to know that my kids stay on task. Since my kids aren't writers, they can just draw a picture of their favorite part.
 
I like this one from Kinder Craze
and this one from Mrs. Jump. (She also has more for specific parts of the book like: characters and setting that you can use if you are working on identifying those parts of a story.)


5. How can this station be differentiated to meet the various learning profiles, interests and/or readiness of your students?

By using the response sheets you can easily differentiate.  If you have some students who are starting to put words together, have them write 1-3 words of what their picture is of.  If you want different levels of books, just color code some baskets and let kids know which they should be selecting a book from.


WOW!!!! That was A LOT to think/read about.  If you are still with me, THANK YOU!
XOXO
~Amanda

 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up Amanda. Looks like you have a good plan to get this going.
    Marsha
    A Differentiated Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for linking up!

    I recommend letting the students sit however, but model each good way so they know. You know these 5 year old like to take over if given half a chance!

    Mary
    Sharing Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the great ideas:) I also want to install the love for reading in my kiddos too:) Check out my blog too:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for coming over to my blog. I am your newest follower:) I haven't taught half day in a while so this year will be a learning process! I will let you know if I find any great ideas and I will be checking back here to see how you are doing too! Hope you have a great school year!

    ReplyDelete